Media Relations Writer/Editor
We’re looking for a full-time writer and editor to join our small but growing media relations department within Influence & Co. to work with our public relations, publications, and client services departments on content for our clients who need PR and guest-contributed content services.
The main responsibility of this newly created role will be to work on client projects that require a fast turnaround. This individual will not manage any of his or her own client accounts, but will instead act as a shared writing and editing resource for teams when they need articles drafted quickly to respond to an event in the news or to meet short deadlines set by publication editors requesting guest-contributed content from our clients.
This is a very fast-paced role. To be successful in this role, an individual must be able to write and edit content quickly, juggle many projects at once, and get up to speed on new industries quickly.
In addition to fast-turnaround content opportunities, this role will be responsible for supporting editorial capacity by writing and editing content for our public relations department.
Responsibilities may change over time, but we anticipate this role will involve:
- Effectively collaborating with teams to produce strategic content that accomplishes client goals.
- Brainstorming ideas for articles.
- Writing original drafts of content.
- Professionally editing and refining content.
- Defining the structure, angle, and tone of an article.
- Interviewing clients for articles.
- Interacting with journalists, contributors, and/or editors at different online publications.
- Conducting content research, brainstorming topics within a number of different industries, and evaluating the quality and depth of client material to determine the necessary next steps.
- Working on a small team to determine processes and best practices for the new department.
The ideal candidate:
- Loves writing and editing.
- Enjoys studying content styles, structures, and voices.
- Has experience interviewing individuals for content or experience in client management.
- Is intellectually curious and has a passion for learning about new industries.
- Holds a bachelor’s degree in journalism, English, or a related field or equivalent experience. Public relations or marketing experience is a big plus!
- Exhibits strong personal initiative and exerts independence to take full ownership of a role.
- Is deadline-oriented and very comfortable working in a fast-paced and open/flexible environment.
- Possesses familiarity with various writing styles and structures, high proficiency in AP style, and a high level of attention to detail.
- Has strong strategic and analytical skills.
- Demonstrates strong communication, writing, time management, and organizational skills.
Applicants will be required to provide writing samples and complete a test edit.
What We Offer:
- An amazing work environment in Columbia, Mo., & St. Louis
- Flexible hours and work location
- Competitive salary
- Full health benefits
- Discount on local gym memberships
- The best team members you could ever ask for
- An opportunity to be an integral part in growing the company
Application materials can be addressed to our Recruitment Coordinator, Erin Holm.